Join our team!
Alter is an online language school for kids and adults aged 7 years and older. We are looking for qualified native-speaking English teachers to join our team. We are hiring approx. 1-2 teachers each month.
We are not an app, and you meet the same students each week, get to know them, and built great connections. We are really like a family with very strong ties to South Africa.
If you prefer real teaching and authentic interaction with your students rather than using an app and playing roulette on who you teach – this job is for you.
The majority of our students are from Europe (Poland). Peak time would be 4PM-9PM.
What is the job about:
- Teaching ESL to kids 9yo+, teens, and adults at various ages and language levels (A1 to C1)
- Teaching native-language English speakers that moved to Poland from the UK (kids 7-14yo) using the home-schooling curriculum, not ESL.
- Teaching online via Zoom using power point presentation shared on your screen
- Working hours 3pm – 9pm RSA time (+/- 1hr, due to daylight savings)
- Group sizes: 2-5 and/or 1-on-1 classes
What we offer:
- Fair hourly rate – no deductions, paid to your SA bank account on the last day of the month
- Work from the comfort of your home.
- 12-30 hours per week – guaranteed min 15 hrs a week
- Monday to Friday only
- Pre-planned lesson plans with the flexibility to choose the best materials.
- Multiple session types including adult and junior classes.
What we require:
We are looking for self-motivated and enthusiastic teachers who have the ability to motivate students and control the online classroom.
- English first language speaker is a must!
- BA degree/ diploma/Completed 1st year of any university course
- TEFL/TESOL/CELTA qualification is a must
- Some teaching experience
- IELTS, FCE, and CAE exam preparation experience is beneficial
- A very good internet connection that can support Zoom conference calls of up to 6 ppl
- Own laptop, headphones
- Back-up solution for load shedding
Fun European Students
Our students are fantastic! Most students only study with the same teacher during their time at Alter, which leads to strong bonds between students and teachers as well as measurable educational success.
Friendly Admin Staff
Focus on teaching and let us do the rest! Our supportive team of admins will assist you with any of your day-to-day problems, provide ongoing support and definitely help you get more students. Some of our teachers do 30+ hours a week!
South African Management
Yes! That’s correct! The owners: Malcolm is South African and Basia is Polish. They know all about braai, loadshedding and South African holidays – which you get paid extra for!
We reward our teachers!
There is a bit of extra each year you teach with us. We also have a supportive community of South African teachers on a Whatsapp group!
We pay R150 per hour in your first year. You can receive money by bank transfer at the end of each month. No deductions, no delays.
How to apply
Send your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org – in the subject line include: „Job application”.
The application must include:
- CV with GDPR data processing permission for recruitment purposes added to the bottom of the CV. (WE CAN’T PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION WITHOUT IT) „I consent to the processing of my personal data for the purposes of the recruitment process in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (GDPR).”
- A video link or video attachment (max 10MB) would be great
- WhatsApp number
Check out or teachers testimonials: Semone and Debbie 😀